Wednesday 19 September 2012

World Restaurant & Bar - Atlas Shrugged

Sadly yesterday work commitments got in the way of finishing this post and I was also selfish and decided to get some exercise. Life as the Epicurean of Southbank will lead me down the path of obesity and death if I do not make the positive decision for action to get away from the laptop or off the bar stool on occasion.

Continuing a trend over the past week, I wanted to reflect on my experiences at World Restaurant & Bar, which is located on the Southbank Promenade. at around 5:00 PM on weekdays, the corporate suits like to use this as a place to celebrate beer o'clock and at other times it is frequented by tourists, shoppers and other rogues of the night. Besides for late Friday afternoons when the bar is overrun by people, normally I find the place reasonably relaxed where you can enjoy table service.

Most of the time as soon as you enter the property and are on the outside deck, you will be greeted by staff and asked if you want to sit inside or outside. It isn't as simple usually as rocking up, ordering a few drinks from the barman unencumbered by service as in the end they do want to push food on you. On occasion, I have avoided the gatekeeper and done just what I described though. The bar is not really set up as a place it would seem for the customer to congregate at and I really do not think that they like you ordering from the barman directly, but I do it anyway. Not to be a prick, but because normally when I venture into this funky establishment and wander past the "stage" that is used for live music in the corner, my intention is a few pints and perhaps some bar food. World Restaurant & Bar does have a full dinner menu which I have ordered from in the past but considering what else is on offer in the neighbourhood, I can't say that I froth at the mouth in anticipation for the food from this place.

Recently I met a mate here on one of the rare days that it was sunny and warm outside. We enjoyed the Koscioszko pale ale that was on tap and decided to just order the waygu burger "special" that was being advertised. Although the chips were nice, in comparison to what you would be served at Huxtaburger it was just pathetic. I did not finish mine. I am not saying that it was terrible, but I just personally did not like the taste. It is a bit like other things that I have had on the menu. I felt like I am eating just because it is expected of me and there is nothing really to rave about food wise.

The venue though is pretty cool. They have live music on occasion and it is relaxing to enjoy a beer outside in the off-peak hours when service is able to be attentive. Sometimes their "Happy Hour" deals are reasonable and you can't pass up the "Pizza and Pint" for $20 that is available from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM on weekdays. That is why I continue to enjoy this place. I do not ask for much so therefore my expectations are always met and I am never disappointed.


World Restaurant & Bar, Southbank Promenade
World Restaurant & Bar
Link to review
4/2 Riverside Quay  Southbank VIC 3006
(03) 9690 6999
www.worldrestaurantbar.com.au
My Rating: 11.5/20
Service: 3/5
Ambiance: 3/5
Quality: 2.5/5
Value For Money: 3/5
Comment: Good happy hour deals


Twitter: @epicurean3006
e-mail: epicureanofsouthbank (at) gmail (dot) com
web: www.epicureanofsouthbank.com

When I posted this, 71% of the reviewers on Urbanspoon liked World Restaurant & Bar.

World Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment