Tuesday 11 September 2012

Huxtaburger - The Cosby Show Kids + Grace Darling Hotel Collingwood

After a debauched Sunday, it was really hard to get motivated yesterday however knowing that Q&A was going to be on, I had something to look forward to.

I enjoyed a walk from Southbank to Smith Street in Collingwood on Sunday afternoon. My intention was to meet my Sydney mate for a relaxing afternoon of drinking and food, and that is what I got.

We met at the Grace Darling Hotel on Smith Street/Peel Street. There was a good mixture of people. Some hipsters in the corner, footy players eating at a table not far away and an emo or two milled about. I was immediately excited when I ventured in to this place because I noticed that they have both Orion Beer (a beer brand representing Okinawa) and also Coopers Red on tap. Normally I would just get excited about Coopers Red, so I was not in the mood to move for a while once I was given a 400ml glass of Orion. It was a relaxed venue with attentive and amusing staff. If it was a bit warmer, I would have enjoyed sitting outside and watching the various attractions but I suppose that hobby can be delayed until later this season. They have an interesting pub menu that I will want to return to try out also.

Given we spent about three hours drinking in the Grace Darling most of the time in front of the roaring fire, we decided to go to Huxtaburger which was only a few metres away for a very late lunch. The original plan was to visit Huxtable but because of the awkward timing after sitting around and telling lewd stories for three hours at the pub, we decided it was appropriate to get some comfort food.

Huxtaburger has five burgers on offer which are either directly or indirectly named after characters in The Cosby Show. We choose the "Theo" which is the Huxtaburger on steroids. Double beef pattie, double cheese, bbq sauce, mustard, mayo, tomato sauce, tomato, lettuce, pickles and bacon. The place also serves "cold" beer so I happily ordered a Lord Nelson Old Admiral Ale (6.1% alcohol) which is one of my favourite beers made in Sydney. The hamburgers were brought out looking stunning on a silver plate with crinkle chips.

The bun held everything together surprisingly and also complimented the taste. Normally you think of the bun as an aside, a matter of convenience so you can eat with your hands, but this one was quite special and given the large double cheeseburger was a mere $11, it was certainly worth it.

More beer was ordered and the ATM on-site was utilised since they only accept cash. Like at the Grace Darling Hotel, there was an interesting mix of people coming and going everyone looked relatively happy and sometimes even amused as they eavesdropped on our conversation about life. My life was certainly enriched a little finding both Huxtaburger and the Grace Darling Hotel.


Huxtaburger, Smith Street Collingwood
Huxtaburger
Link to review
106 Smith Street, Collingwood VIC 3066
(03) 9417 6328

www.huxtaburger.com.au
My Rating: 14/20
Service: 3/5 (table service is included)
Ambiance: 3/5
Quality: 4/5
Value For Money: 4/5
Comment: Cash only, crinkle cut fries are great!


Twitter: @epicurean3006
e-mail: epicureanofsouthbank (at) gmail (dot) com
web: www.epicureanofsouthbank.com

When I posted this review, 81% of the reviewers on Urbanspoon liked this place and I certainly agree with them.

Huxtaburger on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment