Monday 23 July 2012

Manchuria and Meat & Wine Co (Thursday Hedonism Part 3)

Previously I wrote about the vexed problem that is known as lunch. It should not always turn into such a difficult personal decision but it also should be easier to have a late lunch.

After visiting the Aquarium on Thursday, we decided that we wanted to eat as well as the King Penguins so we walked to Nobu at the Crown. As it was 2:30PM, we were quickly turned away as they were no longer serving lunch. Instead of embarrassing myself further by trying my luck at Spice Temple, we walked over to Queensbridge Square and entered the Meat & Wine Co. as they were advertising lunch specials that were valid from 12:00 PM until 4:00 PM.

This isn't the first time that I have attended this place for lunch and it probably will not be my last. You essentially dine outside but are protected by a condom-like drape to protect you from the elements. I previously enjoyed a lunch here in the summer when it was rather hot and eating here proved uncomfortable as the air conditioning that operates inside of the restaurant does not flow outside very well and because the condom-like shroud doesn't completely cover the dining area, the air conditioning escapes and small birds enter and roam freely.

We took advantage of the lunch special for $25 and I had the hamburger with a glass of Shiraz. It was a great hamburger. Is it better than Andrew's Hamburgers? I don't think so. Still, it was nice to sit down, have it served and have a glass of wine. The wine that is matched with the meal as part of the offer is rather disgusting though.

At the time of this writing, 81% of the reviewers on Urbanspoon like The Meat & Wine Co.

Meat & Wine Co. on Urbanspoon


To finalise the day of hedonism, which to remind you included visits to the Melbourne Aquarium, the aforementioned Meat & Wine Co. for a late lunch, The Rooftop Bar, Cookie and Gingerboy, we walked to Manchuria which is a bar hidden away on Waratah Lane off of Little Bourke Street in the CBD


Manchuria always impresses. It never seems to be packed and both the ambiance and the furnishings provides ample room to actually relax and converse. After all of the eating and boozing earlier, I wanted to finish off my day (and myself off) with a Zombie. This is perhaps the most alcoholic drink that I have purchased in an Australian bar, even more so than when you can find the elusive Long Island Iced Tea that is made properly. There is a caveat where Manchuria will only sell you two Zombies. I have been to Manchuria seven times I believe and I have not only enjoyed myself but met interesting attractive people and experienced great service. 

If only I was in a sober state after this long but great day, I would have stopped at Gin Palace on my stagger home as not only their drinks awesome but it has been recommended to me that I try their chicken sandwich late at night. As I haven't consumed it yet, I haven't felt the need of posting a review of the place on here which will include a decade of experiences but rest assured that it is on my radar and in the next few weeks there will be a posting about that place and others like Vue de Monde, Cumulus and Der Raum just to name a few.

This is the third part of a three part post. The first part can be found here and the second, here.


Manchuria Bar, Waratah Lane Melbourne
Manchuria
Link to review
7 Waratah Place  Melbourne VIC 3000
(03) 9663 1997
no web site
My Rating: 16/20
Service: 4/5
Ambiance: 4/5
Quality: 4/5
Value For Money: 4/5
Comment: Zombies to finish the night



Twitter: @epicurean3006
e-mail: epicureanofsouthbank (at) gmail (dot) com
web: www.epicureanofsouthbank.com

At the time of this writing, 94% of the reviewers on Urbanspoon like Manchuria.

Manchuria on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment